Very good thoughts Paul. I'd never thought of it in those terms.

Mark

On 19 Nov 2008, at 19:19, Paul Battley wrote:

2008/11/19 Ian Forrester <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
Adobe notes that 98 percent of computers have Flash installed, and it is becoming crucial to have it to enjoy the Internet. That is of course, unless you own an iPhone.

This is what scares me about Flash. Adobe's gaining a monopoly over
the internet. Being dependent on one company is a practical drawback
as well as an ideological one: there's no Flash for 64-bit Linux, for
example, let alone more obscure platforms, and this is a practical
barrier to the emergence of new technologies.

I feel the same about the BBC's embrace of Flash's cousin Air - it's
giving Adobe yet more leverage over the computing public. I can see
the pragmatic reasons, but I feel that the BBC has deeper
responsibilities than that.

Paradoxically, I see the very closed iPhone platform as something of a
bulwark against Flash: it's popular enough - especially among a
segment of the population that makes technical decisions - that that
2% still matters. I really hope that Apple sticks to its decision over
Flash.

Paul.
-
Sent via the backstage.bbc.co.uk discussion group. To unsubscribe, please visit http://backstage.bbc.co.uk/archives/2005/01/mailing_list.html . Unofficial list archive: http://www.mail-archive.com/backstage@lists.bbc.co.uk/