never feel sorry for being too geeky!
 
Ah see what you mean, so some kind of attribute would be useful but currently 
the spec doesn't support it. Or maybe we should be producing two different 
types of feeds? One international and the other UK?

Ian Forrester

This e-mail is: [x] private; [] ask first; [] bloggable

Senior Producer, BBC Backstage
Room 1044, BBC Manchester BH, Oxford Road, M60 1SJ
email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
work: +44 (0)2080083965
mob: +44 (0)7711913293 

 


________________________________

        From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of [EMAIL 
PROTECTED]
        Sent: 08 December 2008 16:09
        To: [email protected]
        Subject: [backstage] Media Selector query
        
        
        Bit of a geeky query this one, so sorry in advance if it all gets a bit 
technical.
         
        I've noticed since the Local Radio changes to iplayer a couple of weeks 
ago that the mediaselector XML that I (and several other sites) use to get 
links to Real Audio content that is available on iplayer has changed slightly.
         
        Specifically, if you take an example such as 
http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediaselector/4/mtis/stream/b005h0n9 there are now 
multiple <media> sections for Real Audio. It looks as though different .ram 
files are now being served up to UK and non-UK audiences (presumably so UK 
audiences get the benefit of higher bitrates from Coyopa ?). However the 
problem is that it's not clear which <media> tag is suitable for which 
audience. Consequently, since my code at the moment just takes the first 
<media> node it can find where the encoding is set to real, I'm finding that 
I'm serving up UK only links to all users, which is causing problems for my 
overseas users.
         
        I can obviously parse each <media> node and look for words such as 'uk' 
or 'intl', but then I'm at the mercy of those links containing that word in 
them. The best solution would be some way to tell which links are suitable for 
UK and/or non-UK audiences, but I'll settle for some consistent way of always 
being able to identify the non-UK link, as that should work for all audiences. 
Any ideas?
         
        I presume also that as MP3 and Flash start to roll out for radio 
they'll end up being added to the mediaselector?
         
        
        Andrew Dancy
        Reincubate - accelerating growth of start-up & entrepreneurial 
businesses
        http://www.reincubate.com <http://www.reincubate.com/> 

Reply via email to