They could wrap Dirac in an Ogg container, that would be cheaper.

The Ogg Vorbis pilot was done years ago, when there was no non-IE
browser with more than 3% market share.

Adobe quietly added support for Speex in Flash 10. I have no doubt
both Adobe and Mozilla would support Dirac if asked to by the BBC.

I do however doubt Microsoft would bother, after all they are going on
six years with no H.264 support (I do not count the XBox). Of course,
Flash and QuickTime are there to overcome Windows' deficiencies.