> Transforming a Windows school to an Ubuntu school is nigh on
> impossible to achieve unless you provide a year's warning,
> gradually phase out use of all Windows-only software over the
> course of the year, implement the massive overhaul and
> platform transition during the holidays and then spend the
> next six months to a year supporting users when stuff goes
> wrong. Most schools simply cannot afford to provision those
> kinds of resources, so they stay put with what they have, and
> that's why FOSS will never make significant inroads into
> those establishments. It would take something like
> Governmental intervention to impose FOSS and OSes on schools
> as a mandatory element of their funding in order for them to
> make the change, but it would be so disruptive that it would
> probably be ignored or sidelined by many schools.

I can still remember my secondary school getting 386s - one room had the
ICL PCs, the other two still had BBC Masters!  It was like that for a
while, despite the school getting some pioneering grants.

All school migrations on equipment and software is inevitably going to
be a slow process as equipment comes online.

It's not impossible, but you can't do it quickly.

I think it's more doable at the primary school level.  You start small
and slowly.  There's a lot of very good educational software out there,
and distributions like Edubuntu.  Old PCs which would need to be
replaced otherwise, could be brought into service to try them out.
Software needs at that level (I presume!) are a lot less constrained on
what you need - and there's the added benefit that such software can be
installed for free too ;)

It just needs people who know what they're doing, but then, doesn't
Windows?!

There's been some interesting articles on education and Linux in Linux
Format and there are some states and countries which are pressing quite
heavily into removing Windows from their school.  However the consensus
appeared to be that the UK hasn't been geared up to providing the
assistance that schools need to make the move.

One of the articles I read said that some schools are using open source
software - from servers to software like Gcompris - thanks to people
with enthusiasm and a desire to try new things.  They're small scale -
obviously.  And to get it extended you really need some big push to make
it happen.

It could happen.

("Yeah.  And monkeys might fly out of my butt" :) )

-