I'm glad you pointed this out.  There are more obviously.  Why is this
discussion operating like there aren't entire governments, schools and
nations already moving to or running open source?  Andalusia (Guadlinex),
Extremadura (gnuLinEx), Madrid (MAX) in Spain have had their own
distributions for schools and public spaces quite some time.

We can discuss how feasable it is - but it is.  People are doing it in Spain
and other parts of the world.  Here's one primer with a few case studies:
http://www.iosn.net/education/foss-education-primer/index_html/view

Here's a click through presentation on Guadlinex:
http://speeches.ofset.org/jrfernandez/rmll2008/
A good quote from there: "Integrating computers in education is a
pedagogical not a technical issue"