For the past two years, the Ile-de-France region which includes Paris
has distributed 200,000 USB keys with free open source software to
students of 450 secondary schools each September.

The gcompris project (= "j'ai compris" = "I understood") for young
students is available for all platforms in over 25 languages and has
been used worldwide.

The Shuttleworth Foundation has sponsored several large-scale
education projects in South Africa, notably tuXlab and Kusasa.

The One Laptop Per Child project, designed particularly for students
in developing countries, has distributed over 600,000 XO laptops
running the Sugar interface. Although OLPC has announced a beefed-up
(and thus more expensive) Windows-only or dual-boot version of the XO,
Microsoft has encountered difficulties getting any version of Windows
to run on it. Sugar is now being ported to popular netbooks, is being
included in GNU/Linux distributions, and a standalone bootable live
USB key is in the works. Disclaimer: I am a participant in the Sugar
Labs community.

Sean.

-