"Harmonisation" at the European level led to a wider discrepancy last time
round, with the Danes and French in particular making some extraordinarily
progressive steps.  It should therefore be disregarded as an effective
logical argument for legislation.

I'm intrigued by the SCA's moves at the moment
http://www.jisc.ac.uk/contentalliance in particular the In from the Cold
project: http://www.slideshare.net/stuartsw4/sca-ipr-toolkit-presentation

There's a grey area here where we at the BBC have to tread carefully- on one
edge is the position of objective expertise (which may have a point of view
on particular policies), and at the other is the lobbying group (which may
itself be a-political).  Clearly the BBC ought to steer clear of the latter
position, but as rights holders, audience champions, audience enabler, and a
major rights buyer it would feel something of an abrogation of
responsibility for us not to make a major contribution to this debate.

>From an archive management point of view, my personal (and i must stress
this is purely personal) opinion is that rights term extension does nothing
to aid investment in archive preservation, and that if rights are to be
enforced it can only be done so under an await claim framework, possibly
with a recordable media tariff funding model.  From where I stand, an
extension of the current model would make the preservation of many archives
economically unviable, and we would loose them within a decade.

ant

(have spent the last six years working on digitising and storing the BBC's
archive)

--
Ant Miller

tel: 07709 265961