Having experienced the music business in the 1980s as a musician,
audio engineer, record producer, occasional DJ & concert promoter,
record pressing plant sales & marketing rep, and staff worker for a
PolyGram label, allow me to paraphrase O. Henry:

...As I said before, I dreamed that I was standing near a crowd of
prosperous-looking angels, and a policeman took me by the wing and
asked if I belonged with them.

"Who are they?" I asked.

"Why," said he, "they are the men who hired working-girls, and paid
'em five or six dollars a week to live on. Are you one of the bunch?"

"Not on your immortality," said I. "I'm only the fellow that set
fire to an orphan asylum, and murdered a blind man for his pennies."

To which I would add:

", and pilfered every last nickel I could from young musicians who
didn't know a royalty from a penury."

Sean.

-