David Greaves wrote:
> So here we are, a month after Which? gave out the same dumb advice the BBC
> follows:
>
>   http://news.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/hi/technology/newsid_7910000/7910045.stm
>
> Sensationalist pillock :)
>
> I can't wait for someone to be seriously hurt trying to drill through a hard
> drive.
>
> FWIW:
>   http://16systems.com/zero/index.html

I'm not an expert, but from my understanding of the theory, that
challenge isn't offering anything like enough money. $500 is less than
recovery companies charge for a normal recovery. I would have thought at
least $10,000 is more like what you would need to offer, maybe more.

You'd need something like a magnetic force microscope, and you'd need to
read the disk at many times higher resolution than the data was
initially recorded on it, so you'd need a large RAID array or something
to store your intermediate data. And it would probably take many days to
read.

Once you've read the drive, you'll probably need to go through several
rounds of writing some test data onto it and read it again in order to
work out the pattern that the drive writes it's data in. Each of these
will require even more massive amounts of time and storage. I suppose
you may be able to skip this if you have sufficent documentation from
the drive manufacturer, but I doubt it.

Robert (Jamie) Munro