Ok interesting debate.

So first up to answer the core questions.

1. Is there an official backstage #hashtag for Twitter - Nope there isn't
because the way I see it is that backstage isn't as such a destination. In the
past we've used bbcbackstage for tags but if you want to do something like
#bbcbaksge, I and others will adopt it.

2. Is there a Backstage user to follow? - Yes there's
http://www.twitter.com/bbcbackstage. It doesn't say much because I don't want
to spam people with random stuff which I put on my own twitter. But I'm willing
to change that a bit and say more via there.

3. Is there a list of backstagers to follow somewhere? - Nope not yet, unless
you follow the list and pick out people who have replied to this thread. If
people are really interested in this, I can setup a page on
welcomebackstage.com for people to add there twitter id.

Right now Facebook/others

Personally I object to facebook based on its EULA. I don't mind things flowing
into facebook but I never want the conversation to end up there. It's a pain if
you don't have a account and even with an account its like AOL in more ways
that I'd first imagined. And don't get me started on the data portability of
facebook!
However I've been thinking about moving this list over to google groups, which
you could argue is as bad as facebook? I also considered setting up a la.conica
for bbc backstagers with the ability to federate on to identi.ca and twitter.
Something like army.twit.tv

Let me know what you guys think of this stuff

Ian Forrester

This e-mail is: []secret; [x]private; []public

Senior Producer, BBC Backstage, BBC R&D
Room 1044, BBC Manchester BH, Oxford Road, M60 1SJ
email: ian.forres...@bbc.co.uk
work: +44 (0)1612444063 | mob: +44 (0)7711913293