On 4 Aug 2009, at 12:23, Deirdre Harvey wrote:
My 90+ year old Grandmother (also non-geeky) also doesn't
seem to have issues with Debian + Kmail.

Did they set those machines up all by themselves or did you help them a
little bit? Do they call you if they need a bit of help?

Having a helpful geek in the family can go a long way to easing the fear
of using systems that other "mere users" (yuck) might struggle with.

I've acted as Windows and MacOS tech support for enough relatives over the years to think that in many cases, getting them to use a decent Linux distribution would be preferable! Something like Ubuntu gives users a standard way of installing applications and keeping them up-to- date, doesn't require regular sweeping for viruses and spyware (yet!) and is easy to manage remotely - what more could you ask for?

Having said that, the BBC taught my grandmother (85+) to use Windows*, and she seems to be coping just fine.

*if I don't get responses to this email complaining that the BBC shouldn't be teaching people to use proprietary software, I will be sincerely disappointed.