Not definitional but:

TV is a large international engineering, entertainment, and journalism
complex with a contiguous attitude toward it's 'audience' and in most
cases, it's 'customers/clients'  (aka advertisers).  It is a culture
under threat, and reacting to that threat with several contradictory
trends- a flight to quality and niche (think HBO and the abandonment
of the mass audience model), a flight to immediacy (think 24 hours
rolling news) and a flight to audience centrism (think ultra local TV
and the cult of UGC).  These reactions and more are pulling apart the
consensus at the heart of TV- there is no perfect TV anymore, if there
ever was.

What was 'perfect TV'?  It was the idea of commecially sustainable
programming of a wide range and high quality that utilised steadily
advancing technology to deliver better pictures and sound to more
people and to build ever larger audiences.  It was not more choice.
It was not revolutionaly technology.  It was not a technological
fracturing of the audience and their devices.  Perfect TV is dead, and
to tell the truth it never really existed anyway.

Institutions like the BBC (and RAI, RTE etc.) were anomalous in the
global TV industry, and we need to recognise that.  We need to
understand that on a global scale TV is commercial, and the BBC then
as now oppoerates along side commercial partners in terms of
technology and content.  The two key differences are that we don't
carry adverts (and so do not have the 'client relationship' that
defines most of TV) and that we have, instead, developed a strong
social contract.  As the technology changes in the global market throw
TV globally into turmoil, we will be thrown into turmoil too.

TV is what mass communications and publishing was before the internet
reached most people's homes.  TV the industry- the industrial/
entertainment/ journalism complex- is trying very hard to move into
the internet enabled world, but whether it will successfully do so by
porting most of it'sbusiness wholesale into the IP delivered
infrastrucutre (a la Hulu/ iplayer) or my being an integrated and
enriching element of the whole integrated mesh of digital objects and
relationships (which can btw include the content that is bottled up in
products like Hulu) remains to be seen.  Arguably, the internet could
by sheer technological evolutionary pressure democratise all content.
But that in itself is a threat to the web of business that TV is
bringing to the party.

TV is a dinosaur sleepwalking off a cliff.

(personal opinion only natch)

On Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 6:12 AM, Dave Crossland <d...@lab6.com> wrote:
> 2009/12/15 Ian Stirling <backstage...@mauve.plus.com>:
>> Mo McRoberts wrote:
>>>
>>> Discuss.
>>
>> TV is live simultaneous transmission of pictures,
>
> I'm not sure "live" transmission is definitional; most TV isn't live,
> although it started off that way AIUI.
>
>> where you can have a large
>> number of people over a significant distance watching one event.
>
> I'm not sure broadcasting "events" is definitional.
>
> For me, TV is broadcast video, which is to say, TV is video that a
> mass audience watches simultaneously.
>
> To paraphrase McLuhan, as the medium of our time - computer networks -
> is reshaping and restructuring patterns of social interdependence and
> every aspect of our personal life, the way video is disseminated is
> changing.
>
> TV is still possible with the internet, but it is a very minor way for
> video to be published.
>
> Just as theatre is still going, but in a very minor way compared to
> the prominance it had because electric technology.
> -
> Sent via the backstage.bbc.co.uk discussion group.  To unsubscribe, please
> Unofficial list archive:

Ant Miller

tel: 07709 265961
email: ant.mil...@gmail.com