From: owner-backst...@lists.bbc.co.uk on behalf of Dan Brickley
Sent: Tue 12/15/2009 1:37 PM
To: backstage@lists.bbc.co.uk
Subject: [backstage] embedding API for iplayer in webapps?

Hi folks

A year or two ago, there was a nice proof of concept showing iplayer
embedded within Facebook. And there was inconclusive discussion here a
while back about APIs. What's the current state of art?

Context: In the NoTube project, I am looking at possible lightweight
standards for connecting smartphone remotes with Web-based video
sites, so that pressing pause/play/rewind/fave/tag etc on your
handheld can be communicated up to a javascript/html-based player.
I've been testing XMPP so far, and using the XMPP "BOSH" spec for
linking up to the HTML/.js stuff (via Strophe.js). I'm not yet
convinced this will be responsive enough for real use, and want to do
some tests with real video and radio sites.

Having made some quick mockups with HTML5 video, it was quite fun
being able to have an iphone app flip between videos running in a Web
page; however it was also pretty annoying when the XMPP connection was
too slow. I think it's time to make some more realistic tests, and I'd
love to try something with iplayer if that is possible now or soon...

Pointers? plans? is there any kind of API usable now? searching around
I couldn't find much...

Dan