Christopher Woods wrote:
Nothing changes - H.264 for Internet Broadcast has been free, but was due to require a paid license as of this year. MPEG-LA have extended the free period for 5 years.

(The BBC probably _does_ have a license for the AVC family, but it wouldn't affect this).

Any idea why the MPEG-LA did this then? Seems to be quite an about-turn
given everyoen was bracing for enforced commercial licensing...

Read what it said again:
MPEG LA announced today that its AVC Patent Portfolio License will
continue not to charge royalties for Internet Video that is **free to
end users** (known as Internet Broadcast AVC Video) during the next
License term from January 1, 2011 to December 31, 2015.