Paul Webster wrote:
Ok - I admit it ... I have one.
Any chance of adding iPad Safari user-agent to the list of things that look
like an iPhone so that iPlayer works?

Here are examples:
iPad:
Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; U; CPU OS 3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/531.21.10
(KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.4
Mobile/7B367 Safari/531.21.10

iPhone:
Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us)
AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0
Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16

I realise that it could be optimised for the display characteristics - but
right now it is useless because BBC site asks
for Flash.

Personally, I would argue strongly against this on competition grounds.

The BBC should not be in the business of promoting any one vendor who choses not to install flash on their platform for their own internal reasons.

Iplayer 'works' on my platform.

Well - to the extent of 3 frames a second with a following wind, and the video not keeping up with the audio.

In a sane player - not flash - the content plays smoothly, and can output flawless video to a TV even.

get_iplayer - and friends were very useful in the past.