On 07/06/2010 09:45, "David Woodhouse" <dw...@infradead.org> wrote:

> On Thu, 2010-06-03 at 19:34 +0100, John O'Donovan wrote:

[snip]

>> Why the pound sign issue? We are updating our news CMS and in some rare
>> cases older content in ISO-8859-1 is being pulled into UTF-8 pages and
>> we are seeing these character issues. We are ironing them out and this
>> will go away soon.
>
> There's another one on http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/10252263.stm
> right now (World Cup 'has �6.2bn insurance').
>
> That's not "older content" -- it's new. Why would anyone be entering
> _new_ content in legacy 8-bit character sets? That stopped being
> sensible some time near the end of last century, didn't it?

I think there is a problem that specifically affects the title fields. For
example, Welsh journalists are used to avoiding dŵr in titles (which can be
tricky during the flood season as it means water!). As John says, a software
release is underway that will enable us to store/serve double-byte
characters throughout the stack.

Gavin