I'd vote "a little more nefarious" myself.

Visiting the root news-channel.org renders an empty page (no errors).

Visiting the same with the googlebot user-agent renders irrelevant filler text + link bait (including one to www.news.bbc.co.uk.news-channel).

An entire site that only answers to googlebot is rarely a good sign.

Shaun

On 02 Jul, 2010,at 05:27 PM, Anthony McKale <anthony.mck...@bbc.co.uk> wrote:

I saw that too recently... wierd

On 02/07/2010 16:23, "Christopher Woods" <chris...@infinitus.co.uk> wrote:

> Just searched for "Beryl Bainbridge BBC Four Documentary" in Google, and
> amongst results this popped up:
>
> BBC - BBC Four Programmes - Beryl's Last Year
> 24 Mar 2010 ... Novelist Dame Beryl Bainbridge makes a record of her life,
> convinced she is about ... BBC Four: Audio Interviews - Beryl Bainbridge
> (1934 - ...
> www.bbc.co.uk.news-channel.org/programmes/b007mw91 - Cached
>
> Notice the dodgy URL? Going to it yields a 503 error. A whois on the domain
> reveals it's registered to one Carl Andersson (of Advancen Pty Ltd) in
> Australia.
>
> Anybody know if this is this a legit beta mashup which has found its way
> into Google or is it something a little more nefarious?
>
> -
> Sent via the backstage.bbc.co.uk discussion group. To unsubscribe, please
> Unofficial list archive:

Anthony Mckale, Senior CSD
Mob : 07912981657
Internal Phone : (02 776) 64470
BBC FMT Children's, TVC East Tower, Floor 1, Room E164

-
Sent via the backstage.bbc.co.uk discussion group. To unsubscribe, please visit http://backstage.bbc.co.uk/archives/2005/01/mailing_list.html. Unofficial list archive: http://www.mail-archive.com/backstage@lists.bbc.co.uk/