> I think you might be surprised Andrew how well DVB kit works
> across Europe from the larger manufacturers. The LCD screens
> we have in the office are an EU wide model that asks you for
> the country and language first time you switch them on, and
> because they are an EU wide design give us things like
> integrated DVB-C which we need - but wouldn't normally be
> available on a UK specific model. Teletext works, Subtitles
> work, Logical channel numbers work, Now and Next works for
> the current mux - and probably would work across all channels
> if I could ever get my head round the EIT correlator on the
> headend. Red button even works from the DVB-C tuner, as long
> as we have not done any SID/PID remapping when remuxing the
> services for the DVB ringmain.

Far from it - not surprised at all.  I've worked with TV devices for
seven years and I've just finished a project which has seen BBC iPlayer
launch on Sony's 2010 Bravia TVs and I got to learn a bit about what
goes on inside a TV.

But then I also got to learn the effort it takes to support UK only
things like the Freeview HD spec!

Different consumer manufacturers take different approaches.  Some just
buy an off the shelf country specific stack for example which is purely
focussed at the UK.  Others make pan-country models.