Quite.

Would be so good if the Beeb were to put their weight behind a GStreamer
plugin for their content.. or one that could talk to multiple media
players... enabling, say, Mplayer, MythTV, totem,
whatever-the-heck-the-user-interface-is to talk to, select, and play
content.

Fine - stipulate streaming... but not over specific link-layers!  Or if
it needs to cache all the content - fine.. write out a temporary
encrypted file.  How about using Octoshape as a model in how it hands
off the data to the local playback client?

Maybe even offer a CLI that can be scheduled using Cron.. so the
material stays encrypted until handoff..

But maybe release the closed library under a source licence similar to,
say, OpenMotif.  This is under a licence that allows recompilation but
not modification.  LGPL shim... open clients then talk to it.

This is not a hardware device you are talking about - it's to enable the
iPlayer service to reach out -

And what is this about *specific devices* being licensed?  This only
restricts you.  Device *classes*, I understand... but being kingmakers
for specific hardware?

Sorry if I'm ranting...

--

Alex Cockell