something like skype which copes with that well, and then have something at the
other end that pushes it out to other places?

have run a number of video events across 3G links, and it works relatively
well. Although if you're completely offline, it's not going to work that well
(backup phone call?)

another thing I've found useful is to have a few different phone networks
available - one networks dead spot might be next to another network's
basestation

Sam

On 1 Feb 2011, at 23:11, Tim Dobson wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
> Can I pick your brains please. :)
>
> I'm trying to work out what technology to use;
>
> Situation:
> Mobile Linux computer connected via 3G/GPRS to internet.
> The computer is likely to encounter fluctuating connectivity where it
> connectivity drops between low GPRS signal, full HDPSA signal and completely
> offline.
>
> Objective:
> I'm trying to find a technology to stream [live] video from a V4L2 device to
> 'the internet' over the able connection. The connection only needs to be one
> way.
>
> Caveat:
> Ideally I need to work out something that makes a 'best effort' judgement
> based on the amount/quality of bandwidth available and and streams the best
> picture it can. Eg. Where loads of bandwidth is available, there is a nice
> picture and where there isn't, there isn't a nice picture, but there isn't
> nothing.
>
> Does anything like this exist?
>
> Ideally something I can pull the video out in something resembling a sane
> format would be cool.
> Bonus points if it's easily scriptable...
>
> Cheers,
>
> Tim
> -
> Sent via the backstage.bbc.co.uk discussion group.  To unsubscribe, please
> Unofficial list archive:

Adversity: That which does not kill me only postpones the inevitable