Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom writes:

> I'm running out of disk space on my backup server, and it's run out of space
> on a couple of occasions. when it does this, some hosts 'forget' all their old
> backups -- those backups no longer appear in the pc/<hostname>/backups file.
>
> I know the backups.old file has a copy of the last known-good backups file;
> but what happens if that one is bad as well? (Machine runs out of space,
> space is freed, a running backup is shut down, a bad backup file is written
> and clobbers the old backups.old file).
>
> I think this has been discussed on the list in the past; but can someone
> remind me how to rebuild a backups file based on the actual directories
> present?
>
> This is something that probably should be added to the docs.

I need to write a script that does this for you.  It could
also be done manually.

Some information (eg: number of files backed up, total size)
takes more work to recreate since it requires the backed-up
tree to be traversed.  But that information is only used for
stats/display, so it is not critical.

Some information (eg: full vs incr) probably needs to extracted
from the per-PC LOG file.

Some information (eg: existing count and size of files in pool) is
not easy to reconstruct, but again it only used for stats/display.

Anyhow, this is something I should work on.  Do you need a solution
quickly?

Craig