Peter Palfrader wrote:
On Thu, 30 Mar 2006, Andy wrote:

Most of my systems run Debian Sarge with rsync 2.6.4-6, but one runs Debian Etch and last night rsync updated to 2.6.7-1.

I havnt been able to do any backups of this box since. I get the following error in the xfer.log:

Got fatal error during xfer (fileListReceive failed)
Backup aborted (fileListReceive failed)

Same here.  I noticed that backuppc always stopped at special files
(sockets, named pipes etc):

2006-05-08 17:56:11 galaxy: overflow: flags=0x6f l1=111 l2=560294251,
lastname=lib/gdm/.gdmfifo

The solution appears to be telling the remote rsync to pretty please
also transfer these special files:

| Conf{RsyncArgs} = [
|         # original arguments here
|         '--numeric-ids',
|         '--perms',
|         '--owner',
|         '--group',
|         '--devices',
|         '--links',
|         '--times',
|         '--block-size=2048',
|         '--recursive',
|
|         # my args
|         '--one-file-system'
| ];

HTH.
You could also replace --devices with -D which also covers --specials.