On Wed, 2006-06-07 at 17:07 +0200, Nils Breunese (Lemonbit Internet)
wrote:

> However this machine is also running the Plesk 8 control
> panel. When it came to installing the CGI interface (a single file!)
> this is were I got stuck.
>
> As I understand, I can either run the CGI interface setuid backuppc
> or run a separate apache instance running as user backuppc using
> mod_perl. I thought the setuid way would be the easiest to get
> working, but I think Plesk may be getting in the way to much.
>
> I have set up a vhost backup.lemonbit.nl through Plesk and this
> automatically creates a /var/www/vhosts/backup.lemonbit.nl/cgi-bin/
> directory as this domain's cgi-bin directory. This is also the
> location I entered when running perl configure.pl and afterwards I
> indeed found BackupPC_Admin there:
>
> -r-sr-xr--  1 backuppc backuppc 3912 Jun  7 11:48 BackupPC_Admin
>
> However, these are the permissions on the /var/www/vhosts/
> backup.lemonbit.nl/cgi-bin directory:
>
> drwxr-x---  2 lemonbitbackup psaserv 4096 Jun  7 15:42 cgi-bin

I don't know enough about plesk to help much.  Does it run a
separate httpd instance with a different uid for each virtual
server?

> So: the backuppc user is not able to execute BackupPC_Admin as it
> cannot get to the script. All I get is 500 Internal Server Errors and
> my logs keep saying: "Premature end of script headers: BackupPC_Admin"

I think you'd get a permission error logged if it is a permission
error.  Check your ScriptAlias in the httpd.conf for the vhost to
see what happens to /cgi-bin requests.

> I believe however that if I change the ownership on the cgi-bin
> directory I can't execute any scripts at all.

The cgi-bin directory (and all above) must have read and execute
permission for the httpd server user.  The BackupPC_Admin file
must be owned by the backuppc user and have the setuid bit set.

   [EMAIL PROTECTED]