Robert:

I too had problems performing backups of XP machines using Samba. The
way I finally fixed it was to use the connect string in a terminal to
connect to the the share with samba rather than through Nautilus (file
browser in Ubuntu distro). I assume you are using an file browser of
some kind to test your connection with samba. Have a look at this page
http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/faq/debugXfer.html , it helped me. It
turns out that I did not include the correct username and password in my
configuration file.

Secondly, when a backup would start it would eventually bomb because
Windows allows file names that are illegal in linux. I am not sure but
my  theory is that after a whole bunch of errors backuppc just bombs
out. This post here lists exclusions that really helped me out.
http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_id=30038283&forum_id=503
<http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_id=30038283&forum_id=503>
On that same subject it seems I saw a posting in this mailing list where
someone said that they rename everything that ends up being illegal. I
have not returned to study this closer yet.

Also I have a main configuration file and a per machine config file for
each machine. On the per machine config I went through and removed all
the configuration directives that did not apply to the XP machine and
removed any that were defaults for all machines. I am now getting my
backups every night since last weekend.

Hope this helps...
Eric Snyder