Craig Barratt wrote:
> Nathan writes:
>

>>5.  Confirmed that backups succeed when I do su - backuppc and start
>>BackupPC manually with the -d option.
>>
>>However, backups fail ("fileListReceive failed) whenever I reboot and
>>just let the provided init.d script start backuppc, I presume because
>>there's never a chance to plug in the backuppc user's passphrase.
>

> The "fileListReceive failed" error seems to imply it gets far enough
> with ssh to negotiate the protocol etc.  So perhaps the clients
> on which it fails are suffering from the rsync argument problem;
> ie: try replacing '--devices' with '-D' in $Conf{RsyncArgs} and
> $Conf{RsyncRestoreArgs}.
>
> Craig

Thanks for the reply.  I took the "Last error is "fileListReceive
failed" from the Backup Summary page for the host in question.  I should
have posted from the actual error log, which has this ...

SNIP ...........

Fatal error (bad version): Permission denied
(publickey,keyboard-interactive).

fileListReceive() failed

I'm not sure what "bad version" refers to, but "Permission denied" seems
clear enough.  Backups succeed when I use a passwordless key, and also
succeed when I use a key with a password but manually start the daemon
as the backuppc user.  So, I think the problem is with the ssh
authentication, not the rsync options.

-Nathan