I am having problems backing up localhost. It only allows me to backup
directories and files with access set for all.

I have tried rsyncd. When I use rsync from my windows computer I can copy
files from any share, but when I try to use it from BackupPC it gives me
permissions problems.

Here is the xfer log:

Connected to localhost:873, remote version 29
Negotiated protocol version 26
Connected to module intranet
Sending args: --server --sender --numeric-ids --perms --owner --group
-D --links --times --block-size=2048 --recursive --checksum-seed=32761
--ignore-times . .
Checksum caching enabled (checksumSeed = 32761)
Remote[1]: rsync: link_stat "/." (in intranet) failed: Permission denied (13)
Xfer PIDs are now 28142
Remote[1]: rsync error: some files could not be transferred (code 23)
at main.c(615) [sender=2.6.8]
Read EOF:
Tried again: got 0 bytes
Child is aborting
Done: 0 files, 0 bytes
Got fatal error during xfer (No files dumped for share intranet)
Backup aborted (No files dumped for share intranet)

When that didn't work I thought I would try tar. I tried the sudo tar trick
given in the documentation, but it just seems to freeze waiting for a
password or something.
I cut and pasted the command from the documentation

$Conf{TarClientCmd}
<http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/faq/BackupPC.html#item_%24conf%7btarclientcmd%7d>
= '/usr/bin/sudo $tarPath -c -v -f - -C $shareName+ --totals';

And I used visudo to add:

backuppc ALL = NOPASSWD: /bin/tar

The error message says:

Running: /usr/bin/sudo /bin/gtar -c -v -f - -C /home/School\ Intranet/
--totals .
Xfer PIDs are now 28657,28656
Password:
tarExtract: Done: 0 errors, 0 filesExist, 0 sizeExist, 0
sizeExistComp, 0 filesTotal, 0 sizeTotal
Tar exited with error 256 () status
Got fatal error during xfer (No files dumped for share /home/School Intranet/)
Backup aborted (No files dumped for share /home/School Intranet/)

When I run it from the command line it gives this message:

CheckHostAlive: returning 0.077
Running: /usr/bin/sudo /bin/gtar -c -v -f - -C /home/School\ Intranet/
--totals .
started full dump, share=/home/School Intranet/
Xfer PIDs are now 28639,28638
xferPids 28639,28638
cmdExecOrEval: about to exec /usr/bin/sudo /bin/gtar -c -v -f - -C
/home/School\\\ Intranet/ --totals .
Password:

It seems like it is waiting for a password or something. I tried entering
the root password but it didn't do anything.