Hiya,

> Jason Hughes explained how to incrementally transfer such a structure using
> $Conf{BackupFilesExclude}. The important thing is that you need successful

Well, I'm glad to say the $Conf{BackupFilesExclude} method worked fine. I had
to do it quite a few times (did about 10GB at a time), so it took a solid week
or so, but I have a full backup of everything on the server now. Quite happy,
and thanks to Jason and Holger for the suggestion on how to do it.

> 1.) An incremental is based on the last full backup (or incremental of lower
>     level, to be exact). That means, everything changed since the last full
>     backup will be transfered on each incremental - more data from day to
>     day.
> 2.) In contrast to this, an rsync(d) full backup will also only transfer
>     files changed since the last full backup (i.e. ideally not more than an
>     incremental), but it will give you a new reference point, meaning future
>     incrementals transfer less data.
> 3.) Rsync(d) full backups go to more trouble to determine what has changed,
>     meaning they're more expensive in terms of CPU time and disk I/O, but
>     they'll catch changes incrementals may have missed. That means they're
>     vital every now and then, supposing you want a meaningful backup of your
>     data.

In that case, though, what advantage is there to running incrementals vs fulls?
The server load? To me, a "full" backup implies a complete re-transfer of all
files, but you are saying a rsync(d) full backup, in effect, functions close to
the same way as an incremental, except it's more useful, so to say?

Incidentally, unrelated, but something that's been bugging me for a while:
subsequent full backups hardlink to older ones that have the true copy of the
file, correct? That means there is no meaningful way of deleting an older
backup, as the parent files may be lost, rendering future links useless?

Cheers,

Jason