I did, and unfortunately it made no difference. Here is the rsyncd exclude
info I based my file on -

# --exclude "*.o"   would exclude all filenames matching *.o
# --exclude "/foo"  would exclude a file in the base directory called foo
# --exclude "foo/"  would exclude any directory called foo.
# --exclude "/foo/*/bar"  would exclude any file called bar two levels below a
                         base directory called foo.
# --exclude "/foo/**/bar" would exclude any file called bar two or
more levels below
                         a base directory called foo.

the full page is http://www.ss64.com/bash/rsync.html

I'm guessing the translation from bash to winworld is where my problem is
occurring.

Peace,
Jim