Hi there,

I've just installed BackupPC at my company having happily used it at home for some time. In both locations it's used in a mixed OS environment, but at work we've decided to use SMB shares to read from everyone's PCs for ease-of-use reasons. As such we have a backuppc domain user and this has access to everybody's C$ shares.

However, backuppc is unable to access the files via smbclient. It gets a NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE. I suspect this is due to a problem with its use of smbclient, or an issue with smbclient itself. (It appears others have a similar issue in http://www.mail-archive.com/backuppc-users@lists.sourceforge.net/msg02333.html)

I'm pretty sure I have everything set up right.  I've tested this with:
% PASSWD=secret smbclient -U backuppc \\\\computer-name\\c\$
and this logs me in just fine.

This also works:
% PASSWD=secret smbclient \\\\matt-pc\\C\$ -U backuppc -E -N -d 1 -c tarmode\ full -Tc -
(filling up the terminal with gibberish from the tar file).

However, things start to go wrong at:
% PASSWD=secret smbclient \\\\matt-pc\\C\$ -U backuppc -E -N -d 1 -c tarmode\ full -Tc - /path_to_backup

At this point I get the NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE. This leads me to suspect that smbclient is using the backup paths "/path_to_backup" as the password. Indeed, if I add the password at this point in the command-line, it logs in fine. After reading the man pages a bit, I tried putting "" as the password at this point ie: % PASSWD=secret smbclient \\\\matt-pc\\C\$ -U backuppc "" -E -N -d 1 -c tarmode\ full -Tc - /path_to_backup

but this still fails to log in. So, short of hardcoding the password into the smbclient execution string itself (I'd rather not!), is there any way around this issue?

I'm using BackupPC v3.0.0 and smbclient 3.0.23c-2.el5.2 (from Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5).

Many thanks in advance for any clues on this - I've tried googling and searching the mailing lists, but I wasn't ever able to find a final solution to this issue.

Regards,

Matt
--
/Matt Godbolt