i absolutely prefer rsync and rsyncd.  I use deltacopy on my windows
machines and rsyncd on backuppc and it works great.  deltacopy is an rsyncd
wrapper for windows.  http://www.softsea.com/review/DeltaCopy.html

on linux, i also use rsyncd and run a local rsync server.  i run ubuntu on
all my linux desktops so its pretty easy to get it all setup in a hurry and
uniform.  i do have a sco unix and a digital unix machine that i use
rsync/ssh for as they dont run a very reliable rsyncd.  the sco one crashes
constanty(known bug) and digital unix didnt come with it and i get errors
during compiling of the rsyncd server.

i have used smb, and it works fine except that when windows locks a file,
smb wont tranfer it.  you also have to worry about special permissions that
dont get transfered so you have to be more carefull.

i did use tar on a machine also but found that i could use rsyncd pointed to
localhost:path and get faster, better results!