Nils Breunese (Lemonbit) wrote:
> Toni Van Remortel wrote:
>> How can I reduce bandwidth usage for full backups?
>>
>> Even when using rsync, BackupPC does transfer all data on a full backup,
>> and not only the modified files since the last incremental or full.
> That's not true. Only modifications are transfered over the network
> when using rsync. Full backups are just more thoroughly checking
> whether files have changed (not just comparing timestamps, but
> actually checking the contents of the files).
Then I wonder what gets transferred. If I monitor a full dump, the
bandwidth usage is way much higher than when I copy it manually. If a
simple 'rsync -auv' takes 2 hours to complete against a backup from 1
day ago, they why does BackupPC take 2 days for the same action?

I'm out of ideas, and hacks.

--
Toni Van Remortel
Linux System Engineer @ Precision Operations NV