Rich Rauenzahn wrote:

> I know backuppc will sometimes need to re-transfer a file (for instance,
> if it is a 2nd copy in another location.)  I assume it then
> re-compresses it on the re-transfer, as my understanding is the
> compression happens as the file is written to disk.(?)
>
> Would it make sense to add to the enhancement request list the ability
> to replace the existing file in the pool with the new file contents if
> the newly compressed/transferred file is smaller?  I assume this could
> be done during the pool check at the end of the backup... then if some
> backups use a higher level of compression, the smallest version of the
> file is always preferred (ok, usually preferred, because the transfer is
> avoided with rsync if the file is in the same place as before.)
>
> Rich

What happens is the newly transfered file is compared against candidates
in the pool with the same hash value and if one exists it's just
linked,   The new file is not compressed.   It seems to me that if you
want to change the compression in the pool the way to go is to modify
the BackupPC_compressPool script which compresses an uncompressed pool
to instead re-compress a compressed pool.   There is some juggling that
goes on to maintain the correct inode in the pool so all the links
remain valid and this script already does that.

John