Steven writes:

> Yes, I know that seems like the likely answer, but unfortunately it
> isn't.  This happens on all of the hosts, regardless of whether or not
> there are per host configuration files.

Well, if you are confident the likely explanation is wrong, I'd
recommend adding some debug statements to the code to figure
out why the value isn't being read.

Assuming you are running 3.x, in the ConfigDataRead function in
lib/BackupPC/Storage/Text.pm add the two print statements:

    sub ConfigDataRead
    {
        my($s, $host) = @_;
        my($ret, $mesg, $config, @configs);

        #
        # TODO: add lock
        #
        my $conf = {};
        my $configPath = $s->ConfigPath($host);

        push(@configs, $configPath) if ( -f $configPath );
        foreach $config ( @configs ) {
            %Conf = ();
            if ( !defined($ret = do $config) && ($! || $@) ) {
                $mesg = "Couldn't open $config: $!" if ( $! );
                $mesg = "Couldn't execute $config: $@" if ( $@ );
                $mesg =~ s/[\n\r]+//;
                return ($mesg, $conf);
            }
            %$conf = ( %$conf, %Conf );

            print(STDERR "Read config file $config;\nBackupFilesExclude is
now:");   # <---- add
            print(STDERR Dumper($conf->{BackupFilesExclude}));
        }

Then run

     su - backuppc
     BackupPC_dump -f -v HOSTNAME

and you should see it read each config file and the resulting BackupFilesExclude
value.  Hit ^C after that.

Craig