William,

Is the guest machine "multi homed" - with multiple network interface cards.
Linux binds a IP Address to "entire OS" rather than to a "specific
interface" unlike some of the other UNIX flavors that binds it only to the
interface. If it is really multi-homed, you might get a clue by looking at
the ifconfig output of all eth? interfaces. There might be another eth?
interface that would have a corresponding increase of packets that you are
expecting...

HTH

Vasan