On Sun, Dec 13, 2009 at 11:56:59PM -0500, Jeffrey J. Kosowsky wrote:
> Unfortunately, I don't think it is that simple. If it were, then
> rsync would have been written that way back in version .001. I
> mean there is a reason that rsync memory usage increases as the
> number of files increases (even in 3.0) and it is not due to
> memory holes or ignorant programmers. After all, your proposed fix
> is not exactly obscure.

The point is actually to fix resumption, not memory usage; memory
usage is already quite good in 3.0.  That was never a goal of rsync
as far as I'm aware; resumption is handled by re-reading the tree
again and dealing with partial copies.

> At least one reason is the need to keep track of inodes so that
> hard links can be copied properly.

Yes, sorry, forgot to mention that: hardlinks probably won't work
this way.  Although backuppc handles them rather different, since
it's only rsync-the-program on one end.

> Maybe you don't care but if so, you could probably do just about
> as well by dropping the --hard-links argument from RsyncArgs.

Already done; makes no significant difference.

> I don't believe there is any easy way to get something for free
> here...

It's not for free, it's at the expense of memory on the server.
Probably not very much, but still.

Do you actually see a *problem* with it, or are you just assuming it
won't work because it seems too easy?

-Robin

--
They say:  "The first AIs will be built by the military as weapons."
And I'm  thinking:  "Does it even occur to you to try for something