Robin Lee Powell <rlpow...@digitalkingdom.org> wrote on 10/04/2010
03:15:29 PM:

> How do I find out which backups are using a lot of disk?  We'd like
> to see if there's a problem with our retention policy, especially on
> database servers, but I've no insight at all into where all this
> disk is *going*.
>
> Anyone got a script for this?

I don't have a script for this, but if you look at the host page for each
server, examine the "New Files" section.  This will tell you which backups
are consuming a lot of space (i.e. aren't pooling well).

For example, on your mail servers, we will have "New Files" of tens of
gigabytes for each backup.  Let's say that the entire server uses 100GB of
space, of which 60GB is mail data.  If we keep 12 copies around, we would
consume about 760GB (100GB for the server as a whole plus 60 * 11
additional copies).

A different server, such as a file server, might be 500GB big, but the
"New Files" section might be, on average, under 1GB.  In that case, those
same 12 copies would only take 512GB.  Even though the server is 5 times
larger, the *deltas* are significantly smaller, and the total space used
is smaller, too.

Database servers have the same problem that mail servers have:  large
files that change each and every single day, and therefore consume their
full amount of space for each backup you keep.

Tim Massey