On Tue, Nov 30, 2010 at 03:18:46PM -0500, Timothy J Massey wrote:
> Robin Lee Powell <rlpow...@digitalkingdom.org> wrote on 11/25/2010
> 01:12:50 PM:
>
> > The problem is that calling "BackupPC_serverMesg
> > BackupPC_nightly run" when the regular nightlies are already
> > running, or calling it twice in quick succession, doesn't result
> > in the scheduler restarting the nightlies run from scratch
> > (GOOD) or queuing up a second nightlies run when the first
> > finishes (not great, but OK), it results in the scheduler eating
> > its own face (BAD).
>
> Given your use case (free up space immediately), your "GOOD" and
> "not great" options are effectively identical.  The extant nightly
> will be some random amount through its process when you submit the
> second nightly.  It will then free up the space for the remaining
> amount of the pool.  Once it finishes and starts a new nightly,
> the new nightly will start at the beginning of the pool and make
> its way through it, freeing up the part that the existing one
> missed.

But it will take a lot longer.

> The only part of the process that is wasted when you run the
> nightly twice is the part where the second nightly job covers the
> part of the pool that was already processed by the first one after
> you submitted the second nightly job.  Restarting the nightly job
> from scratch will not change the amount of time that it takes to
> free up your disk space--not one instant. It will, however, cause
> the nightly job to process some of your pool twice, *after* the
> disk space is freed up.

Yeah, and the hosts can barely keep up with the backups required of
them as it is; I need that time.

But I understand your point, and had missed it before; thanks.

-Robin

--
http://singinst.org/ :  Our last, best hope for a fantastic future.
Lojban (http://www.lojban.org/): The language in which "this parrot