Jeffrey J. Kosowsky wrote:

> Matthias Meyer wrote at about 15:29:09 +0200 on Sunday, September 11,
> 2011:
>  > Dear all,
>  >
>  > I've a problem by backing up a large file (9GB) because the internet
>  > connection of the client interrupts every 24 hours.
>  >
>  > BackupPC (V3.1.0) can rsync this file once with status:
>  > "md4 doesn't match: will retry in phase 1; file removed"
>  > With "lsof /var/lib/backuppc" I can see this "phase 1" transfer some
>  > minutes later.
>  > But the internet connection will interrupt shortly before this second
>  > transfer were finished :-(
>  >
>  > I am sure that the source file (Windows client) is on a volume shadow
>  > copy and rsync is using this source because:
>  > - /etc/rsyncd.conf contains only one "path = /cygdrive/Z/"
>  > - ls /cygdrive/ shows only the drives C and D
>  > - ls /cygdrive/Z lists the same files as ls /cygdrive/C
>  >
>  > So it should not possible that the source was changed.
>  >
>  > Did /usr/share/backuppc/lib/BackupPC/Xfer/RsyncFileIO.pm compare the
>  > md4 diggest from the begin of a transfer with a recalculated md4
>  > diggest at the end of the transfer?
>  >
>  > Somebody else have a similiar problem?
>  >
>  > Is there any known solution to solving my problem?
>  >
>  > What happens if I patch the RsyncFileIO.pm so that it will ignore the
>  > "md4 doesn't match"?
>  >
>  > I know I should try it instead asking for it. But I'm not sure what the
>  > meaning of md4 is and hopefully someone can give me a hint.
>  >

> I would not ignore the md4 mismatch. md4sums are used on block sums
> and file sums both to ensure the transfer was errorless and also as
> part of rsync's delta matching algorithm that allows it to only
> transfer over changed blocks.
>
> I'm not sure what is the cause of your problem. But I would first try
> naked rsync (without BackupPC) and with protocol manually set to
> protocol 28 so that md4 sums are used rather than md5sums. See what
> happens when you try to transfer the file...

I've got the file with native rsync --protocol=28 from the client without an
error.
In the next step I backup this file with BackupPC onto one machine within my
LAN and "cp -al" the directory into the last backup set from the original
client. Thats work. The original client run the next backup without an
error.

Maybee my previous error was that I copied the file without the attrib-file
into the backup set of the original client.

Thanks again
br
Matthias
--