Holger Parplies wrote at about 05:39:15 +0200 on Sunday, October 2, 2011:
 > Mike Dresser wrote on 2011-09-29 14:11:20 -0400 [[BackupPC-users] Fairly
 > large backuppc pool (4TB) moved with backuppc_tarpccopy]:
 > > [...] Did see a few errors, all of them were related to the attrib files,
 > > similar to "Can't find xx/116/f%2f/fvar/flog/attrib in pool, will copy
 > > file"
 > > [...]
 > > Out of curiosity, where are those errors (the attrib in pool ones)
 > > coming from?
 >
 > (which is a question, and a good one).
 >
 > I can't promise that this is the correct answer, but it's a possibility:
 > prior
 > to BackupPC 3.2.0, *top-level* attrib files (i.e. those for the directory
 > containing all the share subdirectories) were linked into the pool with an
 > incorrect digest, presuming there was more than one share. This would mean
 > that
 > BackupPC_tarPCCopy would not find the content in the pool, because it would
 > look for a file with the *correct* digest (i.e. file name). Please note that
 > your quote above does *not* reference a *top-level* attrib file (that would
 > be
 > "xx/116/attrib"), and, beyond that, you don't seem to have multiple shares,
 > so it might well be a different problem.
 >
 > According to the ChangeLog, Jeffrey should have pointed this out, because he
 > discovered the bug and supplied a patch ;-).
 >
 > I notice this problem on my pool when investigating where the longest hash
 > collision chain comes from: it's a chain of top-level attrib files - all for
 > the same host and with different contents and thus certainly different
 > digests.

As Holger points out, the bug I reported and suggested a patch for
involved top-level attribs where you have more than one share. This
has been fixed in 3.2.0.

That being said, in the past I did find a couple of broken attrib file
md5sums out of many 100's of thousands but I assumed at the time that
it was an artifact of some other messing around I may have been done.

If you are finding missing pooled attrib files not in the top-level,
then it would be interesting to figure out what is causing it since
there may be a real bug somewhere (though again I haven't seen the
problem recently but I haven't really checked recently either).

If you want to troubleshoot, I would do the following:
- Look up the inode of the bad attrib file in the pc tree
- Check how many links it has
- Assuming it has nlinks >1, search for that inode in the pool using
  say find <topdir>/cpool -inum <inode number>
- If the file is indeed hard-linked into the pool, calculate the
  actual partial md5sum of the file (not the *nix md5sum) using say
  one of my routines. Check to see if the calculated partial file
  md5sum matches the pool file name. Presumably it should be
  different.
- If the file is not there, then that is another issue.

- Also, look back through your logs to see when the attrib file was
  actually created and written to the pool. See if anything is
  weird/wrong there

Assuming that you do have a real issue with non-top-level attrib file
md5sums or pool links, it would be interesting to see if anybody has
encountered the same problem in versions >= 3.2.0

 > > I still have the old filesystem online if it's something I
 > > should look at.
 >
 > I don't think it's really important. If the attrib file was not in the pool
 > previously, then that may simply have wasted a small amount of space. As I
 > understand the matter, the file will remain unpooled in the copy. You could
 > fix that with one of Jeffrey's scripts or just live with a few wasted bytes.
 > If you are running a BackupPC version < 3.2.0, pooling likely won't work for
 > those attrib files anyway.
 >
 > It might be interesting to determine whether the non-top-level attrib files
 > you got errors for are also, in fact, pooled under an incorrect pool file
 > name, though that would involve finding the pool file by inode number and
 > calculating the correct pool hash (or ruling out the existance of a pool file
 > due to a link count of 1 :-).

Agreed - see my suggestion above