Till Hofmann wrote at about 16:23:56 +0100 on Friday, January 20, 2012:
 > Hello everybody,
 >
 > since my backup partition is on a RAID5 which doesn't do anything but
 > keeping my backups, I want the hard drives to automatically spin down
 > (standby) when there is nothing to do.
 > It's working properly, I only have one problem: backuppc writes to the
 > per-pc log file in $topdir/pc/$host/LOG.**** every times it wakes up and
 > tries to ping (or nmblookup) that host.
 > It does nothing but writing one line in the log file that it couldn't reach
 > the host.
 >
 > As I'm trying to save energy and protect my hard drives from too many spin
 > downs/spin ups, I want to prevent these unnecessary spin ups. I already
 > moved the general log file to a different hard drive, but there is no
 > option to move the per-pc log file (or I haven't found it).

Are you really concerned about O(24) spin-ups per day? I wouldn't
think that a once an hour spin-up would add much to the wear-and-tear
on your drive. And if you are worried about energy, just decrease the
time to spin-down to say 1 minute. That will save more than 98% of the
spin energy... Plus if you have multiple machines to back up you are
probably spreading the backup load across much of the day anyway...

 > My question: Is there a way to
 > 1) either move the per-pc log file (just like the general log
 > file)?
Not really possible without much hacking since the LOG files are
pooled and hence must be on the same filesystem as the pool and pc
 > tree.

 > 2) or prevent backuppc from logging that it couldn't reach the host?
Code is open source and interpreted. Grep for the line that logs the
data and comment it out (plus/minus other lines that should go with it)

 > I already tried to cache the log file, without success. if you know a way
 > to do this (without caching everything which is not what I want with a
 > RAID5) that would solve the problem, too.

All that being said, preventing the logging still likely won't prevent
the hourly wake-up spin-up (at least in the absence of caching) since
at each wake up, BackupPC looks at the pc tree to determine aging of
backups... And reading spins up the disks as much as writing...