----- Original Message -----
> From: "Andreas Piening" <andreas.pien...@gmail.com>
> One thing you stated about doing virtual disk image backups is that
> they're huge. As soon as anything in the virtual machine changes,
> the complete image needs to be stored again to keep the image backup
> in sync. That's what I want to avoid by using LVM volumes: I can
> create a R/O snapshot of them and mount them into the filesystem
> just like an external harddrive connected to the system. From there
> I can do a file-based backups which is way more space efficient.

I tried doing something like this once upon a time. Taking an LVM snapshot on
an active disk system will kill your performance. It may work, but you may find
that it's terribly slow.

It's best to back up virtual machines by connecting to the virtual machine
itself and backing up from there.

--
Carl Soderstrom
Systems Administrator