On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 5:01 PM, Bryan Keadle (.net) <bkea...@keadle.net> wrote:
> Sorry for the late reply.
>
> anything/everything in a VM is an attraction.  :-)

Sure, where you don't mind the loss in performance.

> I had hoped for a pre-configured VM appliance so I could easily evaluate it.

But if someone else did it, it would be approximately what you'd get
from installing or cloning a Centos or ubuntu VM and installing the
package.  So it would have saved you a minute or two of package
install time - and might not have been on your preferred platform.

> I did not have such an easy implementation experience (as evidenced by
> apparent exhaustion of this listserv during the process).  Being able to
> download, "turn on", and make a few modifications to implement in an
> environment is a good way to promote good software.  Seems that a VM would
> serve just fine in smaller environments (including home use), and should it
> need to grow beyond the performance capacity of a VM, then one could move to
> a physical solution.

Agreed, but besides the package which your package manager will take
care of by itself, there's just some small config files involved
whether you are virtual or physical.

     lesmikes...@gmail.com