On Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 3:47 AM, Udo Rader <list...@bestsolution.at> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> after adding one of our customers' server we see some weird backup
> effects with a full backup taking (somewhat expected) 7 hours but
> incremental backups taking more than twice that time.

[...]

> One of the reasons I can think of is the file structure on that host. It
> serves as a special storage pool for a customer developed application
> and as such it has really really many subdirectories with really really
> many subdirectories with really really many subdirectories. And by
> really really many I mean really really many ... So my best guess would
> be that building the file list diff takes much longer than just fetching
> the files as they exist.

Only the first full will 'just fetch', and that's because there is no
local directory tree to compare.  Subsequent runs will not only
compare trees, but the fulls do a block-checksum compare of the data.

> I've now disabled incremental backups on this server, but maybe someone
> has an idea how to enable incremental backups for this host as well.

I think you've jumped to conclusions here - you need to time full runs
other than the first.  Other things to keep in mind are:
Incremental runs copy everything that has changed since the previous full.
Using the checksum caching will avoid the need to uncompress/compare
on the server but only after the 2nd full of an unchanged file.
The whole directory tree is held in ram