On Sat, Aug 25, 2012 at 12:52 PM, Trey Dockendorf <treyd...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've been using BackupPC for many years now, and am now for the first
> time going to be using the Archive features.  For me the archives will
> not be for off-site or remote storage, but a sort of "out-of-band"
> copy of the backups.  The idea being that if BackupPC is down, and all
> that is available is the NFS share, I can simply cp or rsync files
> manually from the archive to a host.  I'd like the archive to not be a
> tar or any compressed format, but simply an exact 'mirror' of the
> system's backup.  So if hostA's defined share is '/' I'd like to have
> something like '/var/lib/BackupPC/pc/archived_hosts/hostA-2012-08-25/<root
> file system>', where <root file system>, is an exact mirror of of the
> share '/'.
>
> I'm not entirely familiar with all the utility scripts packaged with
> BackupPC, so this may be something already possible with BackupPC, but
> before I went and wrote a custom script to handle this I was hoping
> the community had advice or code I could make use of.

If you have enough bandwidth and a long enough backup window, I'd
recommend a simple direct rsync from the target hosts for this
instead.  Otherwise backuppc is still a single point of failure and if
something goes wrong mid-copy you won't have a good version anywhere.
  If you do want to do it through backuppc, you can probably work out
a way to use BackupPC_serverMesg to tell it to restore to a different
location
(http://www.mail-archive.com/backuppc-users@lists.sourceforge.net/msg04201.html)
or script an extract from the tar file the archive host generates.

    lesmikes...@gmail.com