On Mon, Sep 24, 2012 at 2:46 PM, Serge SIMON <serge.si...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The point is that it barely miss nothing to have a browsable uncompressed
> rsynced backup folder for people willing to retrieve files from that
> directly.
> It's the default rsync behavior.

You can use rsync directly if what you want is what rsync does...

> As said previously, that would allow these two nice features :
> - allowing to plug an external drive with a backuppc uncompressed rsync-ed
> backup folder on another computer if the main server crash (allowing a quick
> recovery of some files - of course, one can "unmangle" the directory, but
> really, it's an unnecessary manipulation, especially if it can be easily
> avoided from the start)

The price is right for a 2nd install of backuppc code.  Just do it
ahead of time if you are concerned about this.

> - allowing to pusblish (sshfs, nfs, smb, ...) a read only share of this
> uncompressed rsync-ed backup folder.

There is at least one fuse filesystem for backuppc has been developed
- maybe more.  Not sure what kind of performance it has or permissions
it can enforce.  But do you really have people who can't use the web
interface for browsing and doing their own restores?

> I really like a lot of features in backuppc, the internal rsync storage
> behavior is the only one i strongly disagree with, mainly because i really
> thing it can be easily be just a simple and regular rsync backup path.

It can't.  Files with identical content but different attributes are
pooled with hardlinks. There is no way that regular rsync or any other
direct file access approach can reproduce the original
owner/group/timestamp/permissions, etc.

     lesmikes...@gmail.com