On Tue, Oct 23, 2012 at 5:32 PM, Jimmy Thrasibule
<thrasibule.ji...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> And more to the point, do they have duplicate files that change in
>> duplicate ways so the difference would matter more than once?  After
>> you get your initial copy, rsync is only going to xfer the changes.
>>

> Indeed I wasn't aware of the delta transfer feature of rsync. I was
> thinking that it was only file based (not file content). So BackupPC
> might be OK for all my machines.
>
> I have two other questions:
>
> Is it possible to run a command before a backup (cannot remember that in
> the documentation and SF.net in troubles). For example, stop MySQL
> before the copy of its catalog files?

Yes, put it in the $Conf{DumpPreUserCmd} setting.

> I have a bunch of rdiff-backup data. Can I easily transform that to the
> BackupPC storing format?

There is no file-level equivalent.  Backuppc does hardlinks, not
deltas and only de-dups at the file level.   The best you could do is
to script a restore from these backups and point backuppc to the host
holding the restored copy with the ClientNameAlias setting.  Then when
you remove the ClientNameAlias and back up the real targets you would
have initial copies for rsync to work against.

     lesmikes...@gmail.com