On Wed, Nov 7, 2012 at 10:42 AM, Timothy J Massey <tmas...@obscorp.com> wrote:

> Cassiano Surek <c...@surek.co.uk> wrote on 11/06/2012 05:03:44 AM:
>

> > Of course, how could I have missed that! I did find it now, thanks MichaƂ.
> >
> > Last full backup (of 100 odd Gb) took slightly north of 10 days to
> > complete. Incremental, just over 5 days.
>

> I did not see if you mentioned how *many* files you had.  Are we talking
> 100,000 files or 10 Million files?  That will make a *big* difference in
> performance.

This will be especially true if the full directory listing sent before
comparison starts fills RAM and pushes into swap.  A couple of other
performance-killers that haven't been mentioned yet:

Running too many backups concurrently - on some systems 2 might be too many.

Having large files that change frequently.  This forces the server to
uncompress the base copy and merge changes which will thresh the disk
since they are on the same drive.   This may be unavoidable, but it
might be worth excluding things like log files you don't care about,
database files that won't be consistent anyway, etc..

     lesmikes...@gmail.com