Thank you for your reply, Steven, but the init script doesn't seem to be
the problem in this case. At this point, I'm invoking the BackupPC
executable manually with the "-d" option and not creating a PID file. The
init script though that comes with the Ubuntu package seems to do the right
thing:

if [ ! -d /var/run/backuppc ]; then
    mkdir /var/run/backuppc
    chown backuppc:backuppc /var/run/backuppc
fi
start-stop-daemon --start --pidfile /var/run/backuppc/BackupPC.pid ...

Any other ideas?

Thanks,
Stoyan