Les Mikesell wrote at about 17:39:02 -0500 on Tuesday, July 14, 2015:
 > On Tue, Jul 14, 2015 at 5:31 AM, Jürgen Depicker <jurgen.depic...@let.be>
 > wrote:
 > > Hello,
 > >

 > > I wonder what is best practice to prevent the OS partition to fill up when
 > > my data disk fails.
 > >

 > > My setup: all virtualized; all backups stored in /var/lib/backuppc , but
 > > that is /dev/sdb1 mounted there.  So if that drive fails, I’m pretty sure
 > > Backuppc will fill up my / partition recreating the backup in the then
 > > empty
 > > /var/lib/backuppc .  How can I prevent this?
 > >

 > > I guess changing topDir may be an option, but there may be a more elegant
 > > solution?
 >
 > I think that is a fairly unlikely scenario unless it is an external
 > drive being optionally automounted.   When I've seen drive failures on
 > running systems, the filesystem goes read-only or causes errors
 > instead of being unmounted, and on boot, failing to mount a partition
 > listed in fstab is fatal.

Maybe not too unlikely.
I have a consumer NAS device that I NFS mount.
One of the disks failed causing the NAS to crash and somehow
unmount... A couple of days later I noticed that my root partition was
100% full and couldn't figure out why... Some sleuthing with divide &
conquer 'df -s' type commands narrowed it down to /var/lib and then I
remembered about the NAS crash. Sure enough /var/lib/Backuppc was
full...