Hello Holger,

I tried to send this to you off-list, but it bounced.

On Mon, May 15, 2017 at 3:06 PM, Holger Parplies <wb...@parplies.de> wrote:

> Robert Katz wrote on 2017-05-13 11:33:57 -0300 [[BackupPC-users] Working
> on install of backuppc in fedora 26]:
> > running on Fedora 26!!!! Congratulate me  :-)
>
> I'll congratulate you as soon as you realize that this list is not meant
> for
> *anything* concerning distribution packages, package management questions,
> or linux questions. This is the *BackupPC* *upstream* users mailing list,
> meant for questions relating to the BackupPC software as distributed by
> git or tarball. Or at least it used to be. I'm at the point of
> unsubscribing
> due to the large amount of noise here lately. This is not about mistakenly
> asking one question here instead of at the appropriate place, it's about
> repeatedly raising issues that are not even about BackupPC.

I can agree that completely off-topic posts probably shouldn't be allowed,
however, I have found this list, over the years, to be quite helpful. I was
able to ask questions regarding not only BackupPC, but also it's
interaction with the OS, with client OSes, and the various backup methods.

As an example, I am converting large portions of my network from Linux to
BSD. I have a FreeNAS and was considering whether it would be better to
slice off an iscsi  LUN and make it available to my backup server, or run
it directly in a jail on the NAS. I appreciate those users who may have
FreeBSD experience, and think that they may have good suggestions. In fact,
I remember years ago, that there was a question about possible interactions
between ZFS (the primary filesystem of some of the BSDs) and BackupPC.

> Whoever might be responsible, please kindly consider creating a
> backuppc-users
> list at Fedora, Redhat or whereever, and announcing creation of the list
> here,
> so whoever is interested can subscribe there, and we can point others
> toward
> it when appropriate. Thank you.

Personally, I think this is way too many mailing lists to keep track of.
You would have to subscribe to a backuppc list for every distro you run,
plus the main one? And then what about the errors that could creep in
having all of these different sources of truth? I think having the one list
with a varied group of people on various distros works out fairly well.
True off-topic? Sure I complain about that too...But I haven't seen many
truly off-topic posts, and I certainly don't think that posting about
distro X or os Y and it's interaction with backuppc is too far afoul of the
main topic of the list.

Just my 2 pfenning,

Regards,
--b
              • ... Richard Shaw
        • ... Richard Shaw
          • ... Bob Katz
            • ... Richard Shaw
              • ... Bob Katz
              • ... Richard Shaw
              • ... Bob Katz
              • ... Robert Katz
              • ... Richard Shaw
              • ... Holger Parplies
              • ... Brad Alexander
  • Re: [Backu... Moorcroft, Mark (ARC-TS)[Analytical Mechanics Associates, INC.]